Saturday, September 29, 2007

Triathlete Expected to Bring A Game After Week of Trials


It is said that for a woman, foreplay is everything that has happened from the last time she had sex to next time she has sex (with the same partner). Sunday, for me, will be the culmination of everything I have done since the last triathlon until the moment I enter the water. True foreplay, the kind that makes you warm, occurs right before the event. This is when you use everything that has happened to get motivated, warm, lubricated, and focused. The better the foreplay, the better the event. Just depends on what gets you off and what kind of event you are looking for. Explosive? Fun? Rough? Just enough to get dirty? Fast? Or nice and slow? Or in my case- three full events with short rests in between sustained for over three hours. If any friend of mine had told me that she was going to perform such a task I would have suggested some amount of training, at least an investment in the Khama Sutra, I mean, The Triathlon Training Bible.


For the last five weeks my closest advisory staff (one might call them close friends) have been shuddering at my busy lifestyle, warning me of the effects of overwork, and feeding me chocolate milk at an alarming rate. Though not in top form, my physical self feels as well prepared for the challange as one in my situation could pull off. Getting up pre 5:30am and running sans light is something I'm proud of in and of itself.


What I've been fighting is my psyche. I have often referred to my own mind as a pit of monkies with a full spectrum of unique personalities, goals, wants, and needs. To appease all of them takes a great deal more work and effort than any physical task has ever presented.


As I take my vitals of both body and mind I contemplate my foreplay. Dustin was right, I have done a lot of things wrong.


Body Profile:

1. Right shoulder muscles causing pain mainly in shoulder abduction and extreme flexion.

2. Back is feeling better and stronger.

3. Ankles and arches are in much less pain now that I haven't been wearing heels.

4. Alergies still bothering me.

5. 131.5 lbs.

6. Been Carbo loading for four days with a 3/1 ratio of carbs to protein.

*Crab linguine

* Smashing Pumpkin Keva Juice

* Chocolate cake and ice cream ;)

* Sweet and salty almond Odwalla bar

* Cereal

7. Last run: Wednsday

Last swim: Last Thursday

Last bike: Wednsday

8. Slight headache

9. Bike still not tuned

10. No real sprint training. Trained for endurance.


Psychological Profile (harder to quantifiably define)

1. Enough stress to keep me from getting a decent night's sleep in: 1 month

2. Peaceful/quiet feeling, but not calm.

3. Distracted

4. Unsure

5. Excited

6. Onsets of fight or flight mode for about 1 week (elevated Blood pressure and breathing rate, flushing of face, feeling of rush, generation of body heat, etc.) sometimes extreme.

7. Just took a test this morning who's score reflected my distraction. I should be making 90's.

8. Introversion


My foreplay has been sparse and disappointing. In spite, and maybe even because of this, I am still looking forward to giving it my all. I am only sad that Angela will not be joining us but look forward to spending time with Melanie.


I still feel like shit.

No comments: