Monday, September 17, 2007

Tri it, you'll like it!

Let's put some perspective on this "intermediate distance" triathlon that I am doing at the end of the month. This triathlon, called the Elephant Man Triathlon, is a mile swim (1600 m), 26.5 mile bike (over a 40k), and a 10k run. After calculating my times for each individual event as minimum and "totally fuck it up" values, I looked for previous times (for last year's finishers) only to find out that this is the First Annual Elephant Man Triathlon. Somehow while looking at the website I stumbled across the course/elevation maps for the race. In-fucking-tense. I encourage you to check this shit out. http://www.mannonmotion.com/emt/ So, with that said, and with the knowledge that I am one of 150 people competing it this beautiful, challanging, and unique triathlon, here are my fastest (minumum) times for my usual courses:

Swim: (based on 500m @ 7.5min)= 1600m @ 24 min.


However based on UNM pool times @ 10 per mile= 32min. has been actualized recently.
Run: (based on an up and downhill paved course)= 10k @ 50:24
Bike: (based on 12 miles @ 45 min.)= 97.5 min (1.6 hrs.)

So, in attempts to put some meaning behind these or any numbers I looked at the results from the Olympic distance Rattlesnake Triathlon (1500m swim, 40k bike, 10k run). These people are sick. The best time was around 2:15. Uh-um. No.
If I take the total of my best times and add two minutes per transition (not including the fatigue factor) that is still: 3:04. Uh-um. Yeah, well. At least I can count on not losing time being dragged around in my wetsuit.


This is the bike elevation map. That big spike happens at mile 12 and continues to mile 16.









This is the run course. I'm not even going to look. Oh, God. I gotta get some new shoes and a friggen chocolate shake.

No comments: